Bond Building Games to do With Your Parrot
Dave and I make a great team in training because we both like training different things. I really enjoy bond building games like trick training. Dave really enjoys flight training and recall, and I although I enjoy that too, we aren't always able to work on it. I feel like it's easier to trick train since it doesn't require a big, open space.
I thought I'd put together some how-to videos on tricks I've trained my own flock so that you can use it to train yours.
Bond building game #1: The Roll Over
Your bird should already know:
- What a bridge is (ie: a clicker or the word "good")
- How to step up without biting OR how to shake hands
Now, if your bird does not know how to step up or doesn't know the hand shake, or maybe just is not responding to this method, you can apply this one instead...
Your bird doesn't need to know all the things it needed to for method 1, in order to use method 2.
I used a totally different method with my male galah, Bandit. Check it out in the video below:
In order to make your bond building games go more smoothly, you really should be using random rewarding.
This is how we use random rewarding:
- We give a random treat (so mix up 2-3 different favorite treats in a pouch or pocket and don't look when grabbing one!)
- We give the random treat at a random interval (see video for explanation)
Bond building game #2: The Lawn Mower
I made this up based on my silly galah Bandit's natural tendencies. Here is what the trick looks like:
You will learn this trick best by watching my training sessions with Bandit:
- The lawn mower parrot trick part 1
- The lawn mower parrot trick part 2
- The lawn mower parrot trick part 3
Here comes our absolute favorite bond building game...
Bond building game #3: Recall/flight training indoors
Your bird should already:
- Know what a bridge is (ie: clicker or the word good = treat)
- Follow a target
- Possess the ability to fly
This method for flight training/recall uses target training.
To expand on flight training, we include an entire flight training course within our Total Transformation Series.